ALLERGY ALERT TESTING
Throughout lockdown we have been reviewing safety practices in all areas of the salons and have been adhering to all updated government , manufacturer and industry advice from the National Hair & Beauty Federation.
We have therefore taken the decision that everyone who is booking in for hair colour, LVL Lashes, HD Brows, eyelash or eyebrow tinting will require a new Allergy Alert Test. This is where a small amount of colour is applied behind the ear or in the elbow area to test if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in the colourant, this must take place at least 48 hours before any service takes place.
Here are some of the key reasons why we are performing the tests:
1. Having a Covid-19 vaccine is classed as a change in medical history
2. A positive Covid-19 test is classed as a change in medical histor
3. A change in medical history requires a patch test to be carried out
4. The use of home colour/tinting kits can contribute to increased sensitivity towards PPD
5. Many people have experienced more severe reactions in the past year and we would hate for anyone to have a severe hair colour or tint reaction.
6. Allergic reactions can be devastating and the severity cannot be overlooked. We are doing everything in our power to prevent allergic reactions by testing everyone again.
When we book your appointment, we will also book a time for you to have an Allergy Alert test. This can take place at any of our salons and will take around five minutes. The reason that we are trying to book these appointments is so that we do not have too many people arriving at once and therefore the process for you will be more efficient.
Following your Allergy Alert test, you will be able to have colour or tinting services in the next six months. At each of your colour appointments we will ask you some simple questions to check that your medical history hasn’t changed since your last appointment.
We are trying to make Allergy Alert Test as simple and straightforward as possible. You may have seen that all salons across the UK are also performing renewed patch tests and we hope that by carrying out the tests we will prevent any severe reactions.
Allergy Alert Testing: What happens?
- A cotton bud will be used to apply a small amount of the appropriate colourant behind your ear
- Please leave this on for 48 hours before washing off. You shouldn’t even notice it’s there, there may be a tiny dot of product residue visible but no marks or redness if your test is normal.
- If you have any signs of reaction, wash it off immediately with cold water. Please do contact us if this is the case by calling 01332 974 959.
- If you show no signs of reaction to the colourant then we will be able to carry out your service in salon.
What happens if I am allergic to any ingredients and we carried out the service?
Your symptoms could range from mild to serious. Symptoms may occur immediately or take up to 48 hours to manifest.
Colourant allergy symptoms include:
- Stinging or burning sensation on the scalp, face, or neck. Listers or welts, itching or swelling of the scalp and face. Swollen eyelids, lips, hands, or feet or an angry, red rash anywhere on the body.
Occasionally, a colourant allergy will cause anaphylaxis to occur. This rare reaction is a medical emergency and can be fatal, you must call 999 if you experience any of the following symptoms of anaphylaxis:
- Skin reactions such as stinging, burning, swelling, and rashes, swelling of the throat and tongue, trouble breathing, fainting, nausea and vomiting.
NHS Guide to colour reactions…